If you are someone who is into reality television, there is no way you won’t be aware of the Kardashian-Jenner clan. The eldest of the Kardashian-Jenner children, Kourtney is now seven weeks postpartum after giving birth to Rocky Thirteen Barker, her first child with now-husband Travis Barker. She recently resurfaced after taking a break from social media with a gym workout post where she was seen performing the popular 12-3-30 treadmill routine.
In the black-and-white video, she emphasized on being cautious and how postpartum exercise is not a race but a way for your body to heal. In the caption, she wrote, "7 weeks postpartum: first day in the gym doing 30 minutes walking 3.0 12.0 incline. Taking it easy, no rush, no pressure mamas. Your body is healing. It's not a race."
How Important Is Postpartum Workout?
“A woman’s body goes through a plethora of physical, emotional, and psychological changes when she gives birth and it takes nearly three months for the body to heal from all that. Hence, it is important to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine after giving birth in order to let the body heal and recover.”, said Dr. Sushma Tomar, Consultant- Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, Fortis Hospital, Kalyan. According to her, postpartum exercises help one feel more energized, regain strength lost during pregnancy and childbirth, get better sleep, and manage stress more effectively.
What Is the 12-3-30 Treadmill Routine?
When it comes to fitness, the 12-3-30 treadmill routine is all the rage on the internet lately. This routine became popular back in November 2020 when the famous influencer, Lauren Giraldo talked about it on her TikTok, giving it the credit for her weight loss. In no time, the routine became viral and till now, multiple celebrities and influencers have sworn by it. The process for it is extremely simple: set the treatment to 12 percent incline, at three miles per hour, and walk for 30 minutes.
Fitness Tips For Postpartum Mothers
According to Dr. Tomar, it is advised to start some or the other sort of physical activity after 10-15 days in normal delivery and six weeks in the case of a C-Section. Getting back in shape after giving birth is a gradual process, hence, here are a few tips for postpartum mothers that can help them regain their strength through religiously incorporating physical activity in their post-birth lifestyle.
- Start Slow: A woman’s body go through a lot during pregnancy and childbirth. Hence, it is important to start slow and gradually build up strength so as to not put the body under stress.
- Strengthening The Core: It is essential to regain core strength after giving birth. However, it is advised to stick to gentle abdominal exercises rather than going directly for intense ab workouts.
- Engage The Pelvis: Pelvic floor muscles get significantly weaker during childbirth. So, focus on those muscles by performing pelvic floor exercises, like Kegels.
- Consult A Professional: It is highly recommended to consult a physiotherapist, or a postpartum fitness specialist before adopting a workout regime as they can guide you better by understanding your body’s needs.
- Take It Easy: Postpartum fitness is not a race. Instead, it is all about how your body feels and reacts to certain exercises. Don’t worry if you don’t see any immediate improvement as the postpartum healing process is slow, and you will eventually come around.