Music Maestro Ustad Rashid Khan is currently undergoing treatment in a hospital in Kolkata for prostate cancer and other comorbidities. As per the sources, his condition is still critical because of other chronic conditions and age-related ailments. Ustad Rashid Khan is a celebrated Indian classical musician from Rampur-Sahaswan gharana. He was awarded the Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan in 2022 by the Government of India.
What Is Prostate Cancer?
According to Dr. Anurag Khaitan, Chief of Urology, Paras Health, Gurugram, prostate cancer is an abnormal growth of cells in the prostate gland that is responsible for seminal fluid production and its transportation. It is one of the most common types of cancer in males. Early detection of prostate cancer is crucial as it has the best chance of successful treatment when compared to the cases where it has become more aggressive.
Symptoms of Prostate Cancer
As per Dr. Khaitan, the symptoms of Prostate Cancer don’t show up in early stages, which makes it difficult to detect. It starts showing symptoms only after reaching a more advanced stage. Here are a few symptoms of it:
- Blood in the urine
- Blood in the seminal fluid
- Unexpected weight loss
- Trouble urinating
- Pain in the bones
What Can Be The Causes?
The reason behind the development of prostate cancer is still unclear, however, it has been recorded that the change in the prostate cells’ DNA is responsible for it. This change in the DNA instructs the cells to multiply at a faster rate and they end up being abnormal masses.
What Are The Risk Factors Involved?
There are certain factors that play a role in increasing the risk of prostate cancer. Some of them are:
- Old Age: The diagnosis of prostate cancer becomes more common in older men, especially after the age of 50.
- Obesity: People who are obese have a higher chance of developing cancer in the prostate region when compared to those who are maintaining a healthy body weight.
- Family History: Family history plays a crucial role in the risk of developing prostate cancer. The risk automatically increases if your direct relatives like parents, siblings or child have been diagnosed with the condition.
How To Prevent Prostate Cancer From Developing?
Despite the risks, you can prevent the development of prostate cancer by following a certain lifestyle and making changes accordingly.
- Consume Fruits And Vegetables: Though it hasn’t been proven whether consuming fruits and vegetables has a direct effect on the development of prostate cancer or not, the vitamins and nutrients from healthy food will only help improve your overall health.
- Exercise Regularly: Exercising regularly helps with maintaining a healthy body mass index and helps improve overall health.
- Avoid Taking Supplements: It is advised to avoid taking extra supplements but to rely on foods rich in vitamins and minerals in order to maintain healthy levels of nutrients in the body.
- Reach Out To A Medical Professional: In case you have a strong family history of prostate cancer or breast cancer, you too are highly likely to develop one. Hence, it is advised to reach out to a medical professional and ask for their expert opinion on how to avoid such situations.